The main surviving remnant of this pit is the fan house on the hillside above the harbour.
This shaft was sunk in 1749 as a ventilation shaft and was later used by the nearby Wellington Pit when Duke Pit closed in 1844.
The ‘medieval’ style fan house was built in 1836 and housed a 36ft. diameter Guibel fan from 1870 - This was probably one of the few surviving examples of this type of fan house at that time.
The fan house has some interesting brick work on the inside and remains of the fan bearings/mounting can be seen on the back wall.
Duke Pit had two shafts, the coal haulage shaft was on the harbourside, under what is now the Beacon Centre.
See Wellington Pit Also