Aso see Ogofau gold mine. A very brief history.
At the gold mine of Dolaucothi is a wealth of surface and underground evidence spanning periods of exploitation from the Roman occupation up to the present day.They are situated about 1km SE of Pumpsaint village, where the main workings can be traced for over 1km running NE to SW along the SE side of the Cothi valley. The Romans mined here from soon after the conquest for over 200 years, developing a sophisticated water system for hushing in the opencast workings. Two access tunnels have been dubbed Roman because of their smooth finish which preceded the advent of explosives. Subsequently, there could have been small-scale operations from the 12th century to the 17th century. In 1844 gold was rediscovered on the site. Since then several companies have made attempts to exploit the mineral, the last attempt being terminated in 1943.