Description by ICLOK
Acknowledgements to, G.Dines, k.Brown & B.Acton, B.Atkinson.
This is often said to be one of Cornwalls oldest mines. Ding Dong was originally the central part of the sett we now call by this name. The full sett comprises of some 16 smaller setts coming together in the 19th century, Ding Dong in the centre, Providence, Tredinneck, and Ishmael's in the East and to the West were Wheal Malkin and Wheal Boys to name but a few.
From an engineering stance the mine was well known as one of the mines fitted with a 28" cylinder inverted 'Bull' engine, erected on Ding dong shaft in 1796.
The mine is geologically interesting in that a large amount of tin was found in the granite mass and that there are 22 lodes which all run in different directions with many intersections.
The combined sett is about 1.5 miles long (East-West) and 0.5 miles wide. The mine is deepest in the East at 135 Fathom at Tredinneck Engine Shaft, and only 80 Fathom at Greenburrow and Bolitho shafts in the West of the sett.
The mine was mainly active from 1814 until 1877. The biggest engine working on the mine was the 40" pump on Greenburrow which had originally worked on old engine shaft. By 1874 the mine had 5 beam engines at work.
In 1877 when tin prices fell to £41 per ton and very little tin ore seemed to be left so the mine closed. The equipment was up for sale in 1878. A re-constituted company vainly attempted a re-work but this had failed by 1880.
Two further unsuccessful re-workings were attempted in 1912 and 1928.
The mines main output of black tin between 1850 and 1878 is recorded as 3,472 Tons worth some £222,000.
The site today has 3 engine houses on the sett. The area has many shafts and small surface tinworks. Care required when exploring. The 40" engine house at Greenburrow shaft can be seen for miles and has been stabalised, it has a fine balance bob pit.
The engine house at Tredinneck shaft was built for a 30" engine thought to have operated from 1835 until closure. Again it has survived in good condition and is very well constructed... myth has it that Pre-historic standing stone were used in its construction. Close by are the remains of the 25" whim engine house again in fine condition. An interesting feature of all the engine houses is that none have gables and instead probably had hipped roofs. The course of the tramway can be traced and there is also the ruined remains of the small counthouse.