NGR V 781 306
On the cliffs at the South side of Dunmanus Bay, 4 miles north of Crookhaven.
Started in the 1840s by the Rev. Dr. Traill (Schull Parish) and Captain Forster (R.N.), possibly trading as "The Consolidated and West Carbery Company".
Worked with some 'reputed' success in it's early years, even paying dividends. Drove 2 adits ('shallow' adit and 'deep' adit) and several shafts on the site worked by horse whim, plus erected stamps powered by a water wheel and assorted buildings and houses for the miners.
In 1854, a 24 foot water wheel was installed to drive new Cornish stamps, this was supplemented in 1855 by a steam engine. The venture didn't meet with much success after this period, the mine was wound up in April 1861. It changed hands several times after this date, before being re-worked by the "Dhurode Copper Company" between 1900 and 1906.
Remains include: 4 capped shafts, a fine circular powder house, dressing floors and ruins of buildings (possibly miners barracks or housing). A long flight of steps (in a very poor condition) lead down the cliffs to the Deep Adit. A waterfall marks the site of the wheel pit.
The Abandoned Mines of West Carbery, Des Cowman & T.A. Reilly, GSI, Dublin, 1988, p85-88.
The Mines of Ireland, Tony Oldham, 2005
The Mines of Sheeps Head and Mizen Head Peninsulas, Paddy O'Sullivan, Journal of the Mining Heritage Trust of Ireland, Vol. 6, 2006, p29
The Metal Mines of West Cork, Diane Hodnett, The Trevithick Society 2012.