On the opposite side of the road from the Draw-kilns there is a very large disused sandstone quarry. There is no record of when it began, but in the 1850s it became the largest freestone quarry in Peeblesshire.
A hundred men were employed here and there was a yard at Peebles for local trade. The house at the Glen, south of Traquair, was built from stone cut here and many local houses are dressed with this stone.
The earliest known date for this site is 1791, but it may be much earlier.