Disused and flooded quarry on the outcrop of the whin sill at Cowshill.
The quarry was opened up in 1895 by Octavius Monkhouse who was the Innkeeper at the nearby Cowshill Inn and son of the local minister.
The quarry is one of two whinstone quarries in Weardale, the other is at Stanhope, and rock was carted from the quarry to Wearhead railway station and from there down the dale for use in construction projects.
About 50 men worked the quarry in the early days and as it developed it worked towards St Thomas’ church and the vicarage where Octavius had grown up. Permission was obtained to demolish first the vicarage and then the church itself as the quarry continued to expand.
By 1926 the quarry was in financial difficulties and closed down but a group of local men formed the Cowshill Quarry Company and this new company took over and continued the work up until final closure in 1943.