Although it was at Coppull Moor on the north western edge of the Wigan coalfield, Chisnall Hall was easily the largest pit in the area. Sunk between 1891 and 1900 by the Pearson & Knowles Coal & Iron Co Ltd, it had a 1.5 mile branch line from the colliery to the LNWR London-Glasgow railway at Hic-bibi Brickworks, the site of an earlier pit.
Chisnall had two shafts with back-to-back steam winders right up to closure. The pit was taken over in 1930 by the Wigan Coal Corporation and by the NCB in 1947. The pit surface was completely rebuilt in 1949-50 and, in 1956, employed 1,200 men and produced about 250,000 tons but it finally closed on 24th March 1967. The washery and railway stayed open until August to deal with coal from Wood Pit, Haydock. No remains other than capped shafts. The massive tip was landscaped and won an award.