Camdwrbach is not an ancient mine, as it was first started as South Cambrian by Absalom Francis in 1878, being an offshoot of the nearby Cambrian Mining Company working of Esgair Fraith. The Cambrian Mining Company turned out to be one of the most outrageous frauds of the 19th Century; however over the years until its closure, Camdwrbach did return quantities of zinc, it being eventually worked with Brynyrafr.
The size of the obvious spoil heap belies the underground workings, the reason being that everything that cam out in later years was trammed down the Brynyrafr dressing floors.
The Mining Journal indicted that there were reserves of copper left behind, and this caused the eminent contemporary mining historian George W Hall to investigate it in 1999.
The adit entrance was cleared using heavy plant, and then the next problem was that of an open cut that had become filled with mud from an adjacent stream.
The services of Simon JS Hughes, mining engineer were employed for this task, and Simon used between 15 and 20 pounds of gelignite wrapped in Tesco bags for this purpose. The detonation of this charge was quite spectacular with masses of mud and debris being thrown high in the air.
What was left had to be laboriously removed by wheel barrow along a barrow way of planks laid in the adit.
Although the passage of time is short, the open cut has had more debris washed into it to the extent that the continuation of the adit has now filled almost up to the roof with water. A drainage pipe has been fitted and it is hoped that this will keep the mine accessible.
Explorers should be aware that the hanging side of the stope is partially false floored.