Worked for lead then barytes the mine is quite extensive.
Although probably worked much earlier it is first recorded as a Mine Adventurers project in 1708 and then later in 1788 by John Probert followed by a succession of companies into the 19th century. It was never successful, the best recorded year being 1851 when 384 tons of lead ore were raised. Eventually it was amalgamated with the adjacent Glyn Mine to the north east and worked for both lead and barytes on and off into the 20th century.
Today the partially restored barytes mill is an easily accessed must see for the visitor. The stone lined tanks came from Clive Copper Mine in Shropshire. The adjacent gated and locked deep adit extends for over half a mine. This is recorded in the 'JRat' diaries as being explored in 1971 to a very substantial fall, which is unfortunate.
Ref: Old Metal Mines of Mid Wales part 4, David E Bick.
The Van Mines BM 81 Nigel Chapman