Broadmeadow Mine is located on the northwest end of Sutton / White Vein which trends southeast to Stoney Ley Wood.
The position of Broadmeadow shaft is taken to be the deep shaft to the northwest of the cottages; however on an old mine plan Broadmeadow shaft is named as a shaft on Shining Sough and located in the gardens of the cottage. Also the Lead Legacy report states the cottages lie over a shaft - this may be the same as above.
The Broadmeadow? Shaft had an hydraulic engine installed at depth within the shaft around the Branch to Hill Carr Sough. The first engine was installed in 1819 (then Wills Founder Mine in Winster) and is on display at the mining museum in Matlock, the second engine was installed in 1836. The water supply for this engine came by a tunnel heading from the River Lathkill on the south side of Alport, the line of this tunnel is close to or along Abbot Holes Vein. The tunnel extending to Guy Engine Shaft.
The buildings on the site (now cottages) are former mine buildings and offices for Alport Mining Company. To the southwest of these buildings by the road junction is a powder magazine for Prospect Mine.