Brinsley Colliery was originally 450 feet (137m) deep but by the 1870s the good quality 'top hard' coal had been almost exhausted and a second shaft was sunk in 1872 to a depth of 780 feet (238m). The 'tandem' headstocks seen today, were built at this time. The winding ropes were steel and lowered cages capable of holding six men. The mine was wound by a steam winding engine located to the rear of the headgear.
The headgear is of timber beam construction with metal brackets and pinned joints.
During the 1920’s, coal reserves were becoming exhausted and production ceased in 1930 although the shafts were kept open until 1970 to facilitate access to the neighbouring collieries.
At its peak of production the colliery was raising around 500 tons of coal a day and had a workforce of 361 men, 282 of which were face workers.
The headstocks were removed and stored for a period before being re-erected on the original site in Brinsley by British Coal and Nottinghamshire County Council in 1991.
The site is now landscaped and has been turned into a very pleasant picnic area with nature walks over the planted tips.
D H Lawrence's father worked at this colliery and scenes
from the 1960's film of Sons and Lovers were shot here.