AditNow... the site for mine explorers and mining historians Mine explorer and mining history videos on YouTube Connect with other mine explorers on Facebook
AditNow Mine Exploration
Tip: do not include 'mine' or 'quarry', search by name e.g. 'cwmorthin', use 'Sounds like search' if unsure of spelling

Advanced Search
'Sounds like search'
Quick a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Home > Mines, Quarries & Sites > Beaconsfield Gold Mine

Beaconsfield (Tasmania) Gold Mine (Australia)


Gold was first discovered in Beaconsfield in 1847 but it was not until 1877, when the Dally brothers discovered the cap of a payable gold reef on the eastern slope of Cabbage Tree Hill, that the intensive mining of the area really began. This reef later became known as the famous Tasmania Reef.

The surrounding town began its early life as ‘Brandy Creek’ because of the colour of the water in the creek where the gold was originally discovered. The growing civic consciousness led to the demand for a new name for the town and in March 1879 Brandy Creek was renamed Beaconsfield, after Lord Beaconsfield, (Benjamin Disraeli), then Prime Minister of England.

In 1903 an English company bought the Tasmanian Gold Mining and Quartz Crushing Company and formed the Tasmanian Gold Mining Company Ltd. The Company began extracting ore laden with gold from two shafts adjacent to each other, the Grubb and Hart Shafts. As flooding of the mine had become such a huge problem, ongoing capital was required for pumping equipment, some of which were ground breaking feats of engineering for the time. Between 1904 and 1905 engine houses were built for the Grubb and Hart Shafts with a central boiler house. This was reputedly the ‘largest and most extensive mine pumping plant in the world’. These buildings now house the Beaconsfield Mine & Heritage Centre, an excellent visitor centre. Alas the steam pumping engines have not survived.

The infamous Beaconsfield Mine collapse occurred on 25 April 2006. Of the seventeen people who were in the mine at the time, fourteen escaped immediately following the collapse, one was killed and the remaining two were found alive using a remote-controlled device. These two miners were rescued on 9th May 2006, two weeks after being trapped nearly a kilometre below the surface.

The Beaconsfield Gold Mine, was one of the biggest gold mines in Australia. It is estimated that the mine produced 1.95 million ounces of gold during its existence.

The mine closed in June 2012.

Attribution: Beaconsfield Mine & Heirtage Centre, Wikipedia, Mining Technology website.

Photos of Beaconsfield Gold Mine

Photographs Of Beaconsfield
Photographs Of Beaconsfield (22 photos)
Last updated March 21st by larker
Historic Photographs Of Beaconsfield
Historic Photographs Of Beaconsfield (0 photos)
Last updated March 8th 2009 by no longer a registered user

Google Earth Map of Beaconsfield Gold Mine

To view the location details and the Google Map please sign in or register an account.


Documents for Beaconsfield Gold Mine

Click below to download documents, plans, surveys etc. for Beaconsfield Gold Mine.

Wisdom Miners Lamp Sale Starless River - Caving Store Moore Books: Specialist BooksI.A. Recordings: Mining and Industrial History DVDs
Disclaimer: Mine exploring can be quite dangerous, but then again it can be alright, it all depends on the weather. Please read the proper disclaimer.
© 2005 to 2018 AditNow.co.uk
Back to Top