AditNow... the site for mine explorers and mining historians Mine explorer and mining history videos on YouTube Connect with other mine explorers on Facebook
AditNow Mine Exploration
Tip: do not include 'mine' or 'quarry', search by name e.g. 'cwmorthin', use 'Sounds like search' if unsure of spelling

Advanced Search
'Sounds like search'
Quick a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Tip: narrow down your search by typing more than one word and selecting 'Search for all words' or 'Exact search'



Home > Mines, Quarries & Sites > Bampfylde Copper Mine

Bampfylde (North Molton) Copper Mine (United Kingdom)


Also known as North Molton Copper Mine or Westwood Mine in the 18th century. Shafts and adits on a number of east-west veins situated on either side of the Mole valley north of Heasley Mill. At work for copper from late 17th century; although it could be the site of medieval workings. Closed by about 1778. Briefly reopened about 1808 and again in 1840s with plans to work gold (as Prince Albert). Projected reopening for copper and gold in 1847 but operations did not commence until 1852 as Poltimore Copper and Gold Mining Co. Gold working had failed by 1855; continued as copper mine under Bampfylde Copper Mining Co. Taken over in 1865 by the New Bampfylde Copper Mining Co. and worked until continued 1871. In that year another company, the Bampfylde Copper Mining Co.Ltd., took over the lease of the sett which had been extended from the original restricted area along the line of the copper veins to include Stowford and Crowbarn iron mines ('Copper' was dropped from the company name in 1875 reflecting increased reliance on iron ore production). The sett was taken over in 1882 by the North Molton Mining Co.Ltd. and again in 1885 by the North Devon Mining Co.Ltd.; although copper production ceased in 1880. Closed in about 1888. Renewed interest in gold working in 1890s came to nothing. Iron/ manganese veins immediately south of copper veins worked at some time in 19th century; although there are indications of early iron mining on the site. Remains of waterwheel pit on west side of river (never used), waterpowered crusher house with winder attached, further waterpowered winder on western hillside (collapsed masonry only), small horizontal steam pumping engine house (foundations and boiler house walls only) and leats on both sides of river ( with lower ones dating back to early 18th century). Collapsed walls of captain's house, offices and Berdan machine house (gold working). Also small crusher house with waterwheel pit apparently connected with manganese workings. (Claughton,1992b, 1992c and Jan. 1997; Atkinson 1997, pp. 42-55) (Plan of site in Wilson-North 1996, p. 139)

Photos of Bampfylde Copper Mine

Photographs Of Bampfylde
Photographs Of Bampfylde (1 photo)
Last updated September 21st 2008 by Tin Miner
Historic Photographs Of Bampfylde
Historic Photographs Of Bampfylde (0 photos)
Last updated July 10th 2008 by carnkie

Google Earth Map of Bampfylde Copper Mine

To view the location details and the Google Map please sign in or register an account.


Documents for Bampfylde Copper Mine

Click below to download documents, plans, surveys etc. for Bampfylde Copper Mine.

Wisdom Miners Lamp Sale Starless River - Caving Store Moore Books: Specialist BooksI.A. Recordings: Mining and Industrial History DVDs
Disclaimer: Mine exploring can be quite dangerous, but then again it can be alright, it all depends on the weather. Please read the proper disclaimer.
© 2005 to 2019 AditNow.co.uk
Back to Top