Description by ICLOK
Ayle mine was located on the edge of Ayle Common NE of Alston. The mine was opened by Stanley Shepherd in 1926, the first drift was over the burn (border between Northumberland and Cumbria) in Northumberland east of the 1990's site. Wagons of coal were taken across a bridge over the burn and unloaded in Cumbria! in a yard were the office etc was located. The later Northbank site was developed in 1937 and the original drift became known as the East drift which ceased production in December 1982. The site also had a quarry which was latterly used as a storage area for equipment. The last drift in operation was number 6 know as Quarry drift. The workings were below Ayle Common, the coal was from the Little Limestone seam approx 18" thick. The number 6 drift was opened in March 1982 and was still in operation by the Shepherd family in 1999 (Ayle Colliery Co Ltd).
Last worked by Ayle Colliery Co Ltd, closed about 2000, worked in the Carboniferous Upper Limestone Group