Extraction of coal first started on this site after 1550.
Laterly there were 3 shafts, 2 of themnamed Aston Engine Pit & Queens Pit. The main seam they extracted was named " Premier Coal".
In 1799 Leech & Co leased land from Charles Dundas of Aston Hall. In 1809 they started cunstruction of an iron plteway 1 1/4 miles long which was completed in 1815. The 'Aston Rail Road' enabled coal raised at Aston Hall Colliery to be transported to the banks of the River Dee for shipment.
C. 1862 the colliery was rented or leased to Hugh Fenton & Co. They sponsored a branch railway improving access to the colliery
The Colliery was reorganised in Feburary 1866 to be sold in 1869 along with the entire Aston Hall estate to William Gladstone, Hawardens member of parliment & future Prime Minister
On 19th May 1883 a bill was passed for the Wrexham Mold & Connah's Quay Railway to construct a branch line from Aston to Aston Hall Colliery.