The Leeds and Liverpool Canal in this area was opened in 1810; a short basin 70ft x 14ft (and therefore able to take boats from most canals; L and L boats were mostly less than 70ft long) opens off it to serve three banks of coke ovens. The basin is now partially filled and has lost its towpath bridge, but is quite traceable. There are three banks of ovens parallel to the south west of it. Each bank has two back to back banks with 9 ovens apiece. The ovens themselves are of brick, encased with masonry. The bank nearest the basin is in the best state of preservation. This is an unusual survival not only of the ovens, but in association with both a colliery site (itself disused by 1930) and a canal.