This page hopes to give some introduction to this web site and answer some frequently asked questions about why it is exists and how you can contribute.
I started this web site back in 2005 as a photo archive of the underground photographs of myself and a number of friends. It quickly expanded and over time a database of mines was added.
The site has grown year on year, and now archives over 100,000 mining history and mine exploration photographs.
At all times additions to the site have been lead by demand from members, and I try to keep the site both reactive to new suggestions and proactive in adding innovative new features.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it a club web site or affiliated or connected with a club?
No to both, AditNow is an independent web site aiming to bring together mine explorers from around the UK in an informal but informative manner.
I've got photos I would like to upload, how do I join?
Registering is quick and easy. To register simply follow the simple registration procedure by clicking here.
You will need to provide your email address and a username. The registration process is automated, you will be sent a confirmation email containing a link that you will need to click to confirm your registration.
You only need register once, your registration covers all site features including the site and the forum.
Why do I have to provide my email address, will you be sending me junk email?
Absolutely not, we will not contact you unless you ask us to. The only emails you will ever receive from this site are if you post to the forum - you will be advised automatically when either a reply is posted or another member sends a private message.
What about my privacy?
Your email address will never, ever be disclosed to any other member, and you personal details will not be passed on. End of. This is not a commercial web site.
Is AditNow a commercial web site? Will I have to pay any fees?
No to both. AditNow is and always will be free to join. Nor will we ask you for any voluntary contributions towards running costs.
Can anybody join?
Anybody with an interest in mines and quarries, the history of mining and quarrying or exploring mines and quarries is welcome to join. Membership is not reserved for people with photographs or document to share, please feel free to register.
OK, what do I get if I register?
Everybody can browse the mines, view photographs, download documents and read the forum. Registering however brings additional benefits:
- Access to member only content - some mines and photographs are restricted to registered members. Registering greatly increases the number of mines and photographs you will have access to view.
- Member profile - your own profile page, your profile will include links to all the mines you have added and albums you have contributed photographs to.
- Full access to the forum - you can take part in discussions on the mine exploration forum.
- Member journal - all members get a member journal in the forum, an area where they can keep other explorers up to date with their underground explorations.
- Personal album - all members get their own personal albums for storing photographs not necessarily linked to any one mine,.
- Private messaging - once approved by an admin (to be sure the PM system is not abused) all members get access to the private messaging system allowing messages to be sent to other members.
- Ability to contribute - last but not least, registered members can contribute by adding mines to the database, uploading photographs and uploading documents such as trip reports and surveys.
If this all sounds like something you'd be interested in taking part in then please feel free to register. We love to hear from other explorers and see photographs of mines and quarries from all over the UK.